Friday, February 15, 2008

Mistaken identity

While driving my kids to school this morning (actually while driving to Dunkin Donuts before dropping my son off at daycare and then my daughter off at the bus stop) I noticed a bumper sticker on the car in front of me. It was rather faded so I was having trouble reading it.

My first glance: I love...something something...picture of someone

Next glance: I love...German something with an 'S'...picture of someone

3rd glance - I thinks to myself: "hey that looks like a picture of Albert Einstein. Oh cool, it says I love German Scientists...picture of Einstein"

Me: "Hey kids, there's a really cool bumper sticker on the car in front of us,"

I'm now thinking of how best to describe Albert Einstein to an almost-4 and almost-7 year old.

Kids: "What does it say?"

And then the car in front of us slows down and I get a complete look at the sticker. It doesn't say I love German Scientists it says I love my German Shepherd. Now, that makes no sense with a picture of Einstein...wait a minute, that's not Einstein...it's...it's...


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

That's right folks, I confused a picture of Pope Benedict for a picture of Albert Einstein. Ugh.

Emma: "Daddy, what does it say? What does the cool bumper sticker say?"

pause.....pause....

Jack: "Daddy? What does it say?"

Me: "It says, I love my german shepherd."

Kids: "What's a german shepherd?"

Me: "It's a type of dog"

Emma: "Daddy, that's not a cool bumper sticker. That just means they have a dog."

Jack: "Yeah."

Me: "You're right. Let's go get a donut."

1 comment:

Linda B. said...

I always knew that I couldn't trust you alone with my children. That eventually you would try to convert them to Catholicism.