Thursday, October 05, 2006

Inner Life of Cells


As we get ready to begin our exploration of the cell and its processes, here is a very cool computerized "music video" for you to take a look at. I don't have a lot of info about it except that it was made at Harvard and that it contains a lot of computerized video of the inner workings of cells and macromolecules. If nothing else it is an amazing example of the intersection of art and science. I will try to find out if this is a small example of a larger piece or if there is a "scene list" somewhere. But for now, sit back and enjoy.

BioVisions

(you should probably have a high speed connection for this one - and you'll need the Flash player to view it)

update: I just found an unofficial explanation of the video by someone named Andrew Sobala

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome. It's so simple but at the same time so complex. I wish there was more stuff like it combining different things like music and science. I think I'm gonna watch it again.

Spielah said...

I enjoyed that music video too much I think. It was completely awesome and although i wasn't sure what exact processes were going on I saw messanger RNA coming out of the nuclear pore and that was pretty raunchy. then the mRNA went over to the old ribosome for translation. That was certainly a good time, those Harvard kids are great. See everyone on Tuesday I expect to see more comments and more posts from JAMES. Bye.

James said...

You called it Spielah. Congrats on the 39-7 W; I saw the third and fourth quarters on television. My favotrite part of the video was the motor protein. Oh, and the part when the actin filament was being made (does it really happen that fast?). And don't forget about the part when the RNA was zooming out through the nuclear pores . . . okay, I liked the whole thing. See you all on Monday. I am going to check out the sloth thing now . . . :)

Alyssa said...

Wow. That was a pretty amazing video, very mesmerizing. I had to watch it twice just because the first time around i didnt really look for what was going on. Yeah well see you guys on tuesday have a lovely 3 day weekend

Friedl said...

Since all of us liked the video so much, I did some research. Harvard's Biology center started a project called Biovisions which is supposed to help students learn through internet accessable videos as well as instructional courses.
They started working in partnership with a Connecticut based company that produced "Inner Life of a cell".

Here is the company's site which has other animated videos.
http://www.xvivo.net/
just click on animations and view the videos.

Enjoy your free day off.
:Laters-MCC