Monday, October 30, 2006

Geo Ducks or shall I say "Gooey Ducks"?

Has anyone ever heard of Geoducks. Pronounced gueyducks. They are these really amazing clams that live for an average of about 146 years. Pretty amazing life span I would say. I happen to see them on a show called Dirty Jobs and figure I would make a blog about them. I enjoyed the segment of Dirty Jobs on the discovery channel where Mike Rowe (Host of the show) jumps into a shore that had millions of Geoducks planted in it. It was also pretty entertaining when he actually got to see what they were used for. He visits a chinese restaurant and finds out that they use Geoducks for making sashimi. Anyway, I thought it was pretty entertaining so if you want to learn more about them check em' out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoduck

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

well kevin, as promised i have read this very interesting blog and am now commenting. I think those geoducks are so ridiculous. Anything that can live that long is nifty. Also, thanks to the asians and their love of eating these bad boys it has allowed for a great industry in US. The trivia in that wikipedia article is quite funny. I kinda wanna go to Evergreen State just because the geoduck is the mascot :). haha
On a side note keep up the good work Kevin. Your contributions to this blog keep it alive. Ok. byee

Jim Lemire said...

Maybe after the AP exam we should have a celebratory dinner at some Japanese restaurant that offers geoduck sashimi.

Spielah said...

I think that is a perfect idea. Geoduck sashimi doesnt sound that good, but i would enjoy some Crab Rangoons. Its like being in heaven when you have one of those.

ethernet repeater said...

Wow, that's something new for me. Quite amazing lifespan for the clam.