Friday, October 12, 2007

The Pharyngula Mutating Genre Meme

Dale over at The Meming of Life has tagged me with this convoluted experiment started by PZ Myers. It took me a while to figure it out, but I think I've successfully maneuvered my brain around it, so I'll give it a shot. Besides, my memetic legacy hinges on my successful completion of this challenge.


THE RULES

There is a set of questions below, all of the form , “The best [subgenre] [medium] in [genre] is…”.

Copy the questions. Before answering them, you may modify them in a limited way, carrying out no more than two of these operations:

> You can leave them exactly as is.

> You can delete any one question.

> You can mutate either the genre, medium or subgenre of any one question. For instance, you could change “The best timetravel novel in SF/ Fantasy is…” to “The best timetravel novel in Westerns is…” , or ”the best timetravel movie in SF/Fantasy is…, or ”The best Romance novel in SF/Fantasy is…”

> You can add a completely new question of your choice to the end of the list, as long as it is still in the form “The best [subgenre] [medium] in [genre] is…”.

> You must have at least one question in your set, or you’ve gone extinct, and you must be able to answer it yourself, or you’re not viable.


Then answer your possibly mutant set of questions.

Please do include a link back to the ‘parent’ blog you got them from, (e.g. FROM ARCHAEA TO ZEAXANTHOL), to simplify tracing the ancestry, and include these instructions.

Finally, pass it along to any number of your fellow bloggers.

Remember though: your success as a Darwinian replicator is going to be measured by the propagation of your variants, which is going to be a function of both the interest your well-honed questions generate, and the number of successful attempts at reproducing them.


MY LINEAGE

My great-great-grandfather is Pharyngula.

My great-grandfather is The Flying Trilobite.

My nonna is Leslie’s Blog.

Daddy dearest is The Meming of Life


THE MUTATING MEME

THE MEMING OF LIFE’s mutation:

*The best romantic movie in scientific dystopia is: THX 1138

*The best sexy song in traditional is: “Chan Chan” by the Buena Vista Social Club

*The best satirical movie in comedy is: Life of Brian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FROM ARCHAEA TO ZEAXANTHOL's memetic code:
I'm taking some risks here - "dumbing" down the memetic pool as it were - it's either a brilliant move or memetic suicide. I'm banking on the former - have you seen "Idiocracy"?

*The best romantic movie in comedy is: The Princess Bride

*The best sexy song in 80's hard rock is: "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard

*The best satirical movie in comedy is: South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut


Passing on the meme:
(Hopefully I don't have any MTDs)
  • the Other 95%
  • Deep Sea News
  • Aardvarchaeology
  • Malaria, Bedbugs, Sea Lice, and Sunsets

    I'll stop there. I don't want to get a reputation for being promiscuous.

  • 2 comments:

    Glendon Mellow said...

    Hahaha...'Pour Some Sugar on Me'! I played that casette over and pver the summer it came out. I toyed with putting it on my list too. I guess we share Leppard memes, passed down.

    Great post.

    Martin said...

    Dunnit already, and I ain't putting my readers through it more than once.