Tuesday, May 06, 2008

It's that time of year again...

By the end of the day today, I should have a stack of papers to grade. Woohoo!! My intro bio students undertook a "semester-long"* research project and their formal write-ups are due today. What are the chances that I have them all before I leave? Yeah, that's what I think too.

The students gave group presentations of their research last week, so I have a good feel for what to expect. I've flipped through some already and have found that my oh-so wonderful suggestions I gave after their presentation have not been incorporated into their final paper. Not a good start. But at least some of the students stopped referring to earthworms as insects. So they've got that going for them.

*Apparently, "semester-long", for some groups, means wait until the last weekend before everything is due to collect and analyze samples and then when they realize they don't have enough time to actually quantify anything, they "eye-ball" it.

No comments: