Tuesday, March 17, 2009

RWU: the magazine

I'm very excited to announce the inaugural issue of Roger Williams University's new magazine - RWU. The old magazine, The Bridge, had stagnated and the Office of University Communications saw need to revamp and start fresh. For the first time, the University utilized a Board of Editors to help with the story and design elements of the magazine. I was asked to sit on the Board to represent the Division of Math & Science and am happy to say that the magazine came out fantastic - it's fresh, current, well-designed, and does a great job of depicting the great things associated with RWU.

By far, the majority of the credit goes to our chief editor, Brian Clark, and his staff, but, if I may toot my own horn, I enjoyed playing a role in the final product. The cover story on eating locally was my idea (as well as independently by a couple of others on the Board) and I am one of the "focus localvores" in the piece (though I am misquoted once or twice!). I was also the author of the "On the Waterfront" piece about our partnership with the New England Aquarium on page 6. All in all it has been a great experience being part of this transformation.

The magazine has been mailed out to the RWU community (Rick - did you get your copy yet?). For the rest of you, the magazine is available in pdf form from the University website. If you have a few minutes, please take a look and let me know what you think - we're starting the process already for issue #2 and would love your feedback.

1 comment:

Up Welng said...

hey there, james...

i did indeed receive my copy of rwu whilst i was in hawaii... i returned home and wondered, "why is roger williams sending me a seed catalog?"

which would have been fine and dandy since i was more botanically leaning during my marine bio years there (i worshipped the ground martine villalard walked on and tom holstein--my advisor--was a plant guy from pennsylvania as well... did i ever mention i took "greenhouse management" as an elective when the campus still didn't have its own greenhouse and it was still hosted at blithewold gardens?

nice redesign of the magazine! and glad you are part of the editorial team... the bridge always seemed newslettery/small and never really represented the up and coming institution i think roger williams wants to be seen as...

maybe if i see some great marine bio stories or demonstrable efforts the campus is taking to be less homophobic/dangerous to young queers than it was when i was a student, i might actually become a financially contributing alum....